After the first 3 weeks of working in Dagestan the FC Anji Youth Academy Sporting director Jelle Goes shares his first impressions and assessments.
- Mr. Jelle, the selection process has now been completed. How do you assess the overall skill level of young Dagestani "academics"?
- The selection process was very rigorous. Together with the Academy coaches we have seen and evaluated about 2 thousand Dagestani youngsters. The thoroughness of the selection process is illustrated by the fact that in some age groups it was divided into up to 4 stages. We looked at technical skills, tactical thinking, fitness level, football character, discipline. We based our evaluation only on the objective football opinion about the candidates.
In the end, we chose the best. I’m quite positive. The guys we now have are good. But, of course, we need to continue to work and improve.
- Dagestan has brought forward many Olympic champions, winners of world and European championships in various martial arts - wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, MMA, etc. Traditionally, it is believed that this is due to the fact that Dagestanis are brought up with a strong will, character, strong spirit, fighting qualities. Are such traits useful in football?
- Football talent is required first of all. In combination with will power and the right way of life, all these factors will help to be successful at FC Anji. In general I am satisfied with the discipline and character of the players. We have seen more than two thousand young players throughout the entire selection period but haven’t been confronted with any conflict situation.
- How many hours a day do you work?
- Football life goes on 7 days a week. During the day we have training session or games, in the evening we analyze all the information and prepare a work plan for the next day, week, month. We, management, technical staff, medical personnel are determined to work very hard to create a professional football academy in Dagestan.
- You have worked in Western Europe, in Estonia, in Moscow. With all that experience, how hard is it to work with Dagestanis?
- At FC Anji I have met people who are passionate about their work and are fully dedicated to developing the club. A new modern stadium is currently being constructed in Dagestan, the youth academy started to operate.
It is a great honor to be part of FC Anji’s development.